how many family carers have birth parents in there life

mamma

how many family carers have birth parents in there life

Post by mamma » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:26 am

Hi all just wondering how many family members have passed the fostering panel or have SGO and still have very close contact with birth parents ?

Celle

Re: how many family carers have birth parents in there life

Post by Celle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:32 am

For a year now, my daughter and her husband have had an SGO for a little girl whom Children's Services placed with foster parents at 5 months old (and she stayed there for 10 months), due to maternal neglect and drug abuse.

While they have re-established (amicable) contact with the maternal grandparents and half-sister, the birth mother has shown no interest in seeing her daughter. She is still on drugs, still under supervision, and has not kept appointments to discuss seeing her child.

My daughter and her husband have kept the same stance throughout: for the sake of the child, they will allow supervised maternal visitation only when the birth mother is off drugs and does nothing to upset the child. Since no court order concerning visitation was made, they have the right to decide this.

The birth father was not named on the birth certificate, but his paternity was established by DNA testing. He has never seen his daughter (and won't), but is to receive a photo and a brief update once a year. The Special Guardians will provide the photo and update to Children's Services, who will send it to the birth father.

mamma

Re: how many family carers have birth parents in there life

Post by mamma » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 pm

spoke to s/w for ages yesterday. he is now saying that if b/p get child back, they may want to keep them in that area. if i get child he will move to my area as you know is 90 miles apart. all family support is my area how does it make sense to keep them in their area ??