Adopted family can check medical past

sasha

Adopted family can check medical past

Post by sasha » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:25 am

I am the birth Grandmother of a GS who was adopted (forced adoption) by the LA and a GD due to be adopted in the not too distant future also (forced adoption) by LA.

The government have agreed that all adopted adults will from November be able to have access to medical information from their birth families although as I understand it, the birth family members will not be identified and will probably not know that their medical information is being shared. Feel free to correct me if you are aware of how this process will work.

I am NOT against my Grandchildren having important ACCURATE medical information in order to be aware of any genetic links to hereditory conditions. However, due to the under handed tactics the LA have used in order to gain the judicial system's support in getting the adoption order through, I am extremely concerned as to what information they will share with the adopters and naturally, my Grandchildren in the long term. There are a number of inaccuracies in family members medical records and I would NOT want my Grandchildren having wrong information.

I have written to Edward Timpson Family Minister (MP) who supports this for adopted families and have yet to receive a reply.

I am keen to know and understand as to how the government expect this process to be rolled out and who will exactly be responsible for exchanging MY medical information.

Robin D

Re: Adopted family can check medical past

Post by Robin D » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:06 pm

David may be able to clarify, but I believe the plan is to compile a medical history to help adopted adults deal with any future problems. From a personal perspective, and as an adoptive parent, I don't think it goes far enough. This would have been extremely helpful with one of our children. I'm not prepared to impart details, but when contact was finally made with the birth family, it was clear there was a genetic link behind the issue of concern! Many other states have done this for many years with GP's being able to ask for relevant information through the adoption agencies going back to the birth parent records if need be.

As always though, the devil is in the detail and I totally share Sasha's concerns. If what is going to be held and made available is to be decided by the social workers involved with no right to scrutiny or medical professional input, I would be extremely concerned, especially with mental health issues that are so often mis-diagnosed. There is also the later life issues. I'm not adopted, but my father, uncle and paternal grandfather all died of a specific cancer, none of which were identified until I was well and truly an adult and I am now being monitored as considered at 'increased risk'. If a 'fixed in time' record will be held, it will be of very limited use for dealing with these types of things meaning that avoiding strategies and treatments will be unavailable!

I also wonder if you have will have a right to refuse to have certain medical information shared if not relevant or can be shown to be incorrect?

I worry that if this come in in November, the process and procedures have already been agreed but certainly do not appear to attracted media attention, or to be openly in the public domain! Google seems to find nothing unless I'm using the wrong search terms.

Best wishes ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

sasha

Post by sasha » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:49 am

Here's a link to the media report I found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-29361705

I have heard from a different source that if birth families refuse to provide the information then the consultant can get access to it under the 'care of patient' anonymously, but my concern is what's the point of this new legislation if they have been doing that anyway?

It appears from the BBC news link that they will have access to birth relatives medical information whether alive or dead. Just exactly what information can they get access to and which Adoption Agencies will be rolling this out? Who speaks for the dead? That isn't as silly as it sounds. A member our our family have been trying to get genetic testing for many years but have been refused albeit, we have researched our family ancestors over many generations but death certificates do not state what a person was treated for. What that means is; A person may have died from Heart Attack but nothing is mentioned that they were being treated for Cancer. So a total stranger from an agency will have access to everything and yet my family member cannot have access to the same information? Something is not right here.

Like I previously said, I am more than willing to let my GS have ACCURATE medical information but there are somethings within family members medical files that have no bearing on this matter but who will have access to this information and how secure will it be?

I agree that if this to be rolled out from November that the rules and regs have already been provided to the 'organisation' who will be responsible for this but it certainly has been kept quiet.

We hear of so many confidential records being found on public landfill sites which have not been properly destroyed etc, so it's not paranoia it's me wanting to ensure MY information stays CONFIDENTIAL and that only 'relevant professionals' have access to it.

Please, please can someone help me with this?

sasha

Post by sasha » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:57 am

Can David enlighten me on this matter please?

Concerned2013

Post by Concerned2013 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 pm

This is a violation of Article 8 of Human Rights
respect for private and confidential information, particularly the storing and sharing of such information;
However, Article 8 is a qualified Right ,so they may have the power to abuse just as they do now with no accountability.

What this does highlight to me is the lack of co-operation between parties. Which to be honest is understandable seeing Children Services are known to lie, make false statements in Family Proceedings, treat people who have not committed a crime like a criminal to reach their goal of kidnapping children from families.

Why would you trust someone with private information who abuses their position in this way.

Children Services have the power to abuse due to no accountability . Their masters, the Government want to stop being accountable to Strasbourg Court by repealing Human Rights Act and when that happens the system will become even more corrupt.

1400+ Children in Rotherham and numerous others elsewhere failed by Children Services, Police and government while they go around taking children from caring families.

The system is corrupt and a disgrace.
Signed

disillusioned with the whole process, but will continue to fight for justice to the last breath.