Get it in Writing

confusedinfrance

Get it in Writing

Post by confusedinfrance » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:14 am

I know it's a bit hard when you are dealing with social services / children's services, and all the emotional blackmail is used to coerce you in to taking on a relative, and I would presume that most people looking on this forum have already committed themselves to doing just that. However, if not, when you are asked to take on such a task, with the promise of financial support from the L.A., make sure they commit themselves in writing as to what the intend to contribute, concerning the upkeep of the child.
My own experience has just concluded with a financial pittance awarded by the LGO, and comes nowhere near to anything approaching the debt I have incurred. The L.A. I had dealings with are possibly the worst in the country when it comes to reneging on verbal promises, their turnover of staff says it all, you rarely get to speak to the same person long enough to build up some sort of rapport. Efficiency is not a term that they are familiar with, and their maths, when it comes to reconciling what they actually have to pay out is abysmal. So verbally promised financial assistance was denied, precedents set, and then ignored, all equates to childcare on the cheap, second rate service for related carers, even court rulings are glossed over, and reinterpreted to suit.
All of which has left a very bitter taste in my mouth, not least the placement, which was ill advised and very badly implemented, and eventually terminated with the child being returned to the UK, after nearly three years were wasted from her life.
So what now, put it down to not believing that "social workers" are all goodness and light, albeit that was my opinion at the outset. I just can't believe that children are treated like any other commodity and shuffled around to suit the finances of the L.A. There must be some way to making the general public and possible future carers aware of how these authorities act.

nana dee

Re: Get it in Writing

Post by nana dee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 am

I totally agree with what your saying I am only in the early stages myself and already feel like Im being pushed to suit their agenda its all very sad as were supposed to be able trust these services to have the childrens best interests at heart but in my experience also it doesnt seem to be this way. I have been asked to give up work but been given no financial assessment what so ever and basically told to claim benefits! Even tough i believe this will leave my family in Financial hardship. This website has been very helpful to me as i knew nothing much about how LA treat family carers until i was thrust into the middle of this minefield..