desperate for any help

Robin D

Re: desperate for any help

Post by Robin D » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:06 am

That's good news. Can I make two suggestions please?

1. Keep a good diary of everything. Children's behaviour's, social worker visits and comments, contact with parents. At some stage it will be very important and you will be so thankful you bothered. Get into the habit of writing it up daily.
2. Try to get everything from social services in writing. That includes minutes of meetings. If they send you something and it differs from what you believe was said or agreed, write back with your version and ask that the minutes be updated or your comments attached. Another useful thing is when told key information is to write to the social worker a day or two afterwards with 'Thank you for visit/phone call etc on date. I am very pleased that {in this example} you have agreed to recommend to the court that the children are placed with me. I wonder if you could let me know what you anticipate the time-scales for assessment of need and placement will be so that I can ensure we are fully prepared.' This puts the onus on them to disagree with your version, rather than two changes of social worker down the line being told that something was never agreed.

Good luck ...... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

worriedgran

Re: desperate for any help

Post by worriedgran » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Very sound advise Robin thank you I will certainly take your advise