Please help - carer to tell their story to social workers

Cathy Ashley

Please help - carer to tell their story to social workers

Post by Cathy Ashley » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi
I'm running a workshop at the Community Care Live conference in Islington, London at 11am on Wednesday on 'Developing good policy and practice for family and friends care at local level'
It would be great to have a family and friends care speak at the workshop - just for 5-10 mins max on
- their case
- what actions/support from social workers/the local authority/other professionals did help?
- what steps could social wokers/the local authority/professionals have taken that would have made the situation better?
Are you willing? If so please can you email me cashley@frg.org.uk
See below more details about the workshop which will be made mainly made up of social workers. Not sure how many the room takes, but last time it was full i.e. about 100!
Many thanks
Cathy (Chief Executive, Family Rights Group)

More details about the workshop:
By 30th September 2011, local authorities in England were required to publish a local policy on family and friends care. Yet we know many authorities are still at an early stage of drafting. This workshop will assist authorities in developing an effective family and friends care policy that complies with the new guidance.
Delegates who attend this workshop will:
• Have a greater understanding of the legal framework for family and friends care including new guidance
• Have the opportunity to consider effective approaches in developing local family and friends care policies and practices
• Have considered what key components of a family and friends care policy
Chief Executive, Family Rights Group

Deeji9

Re: Please help - carer to tell their story to social worker

Post by Deeji9 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:16 am

Hello Cathy, London is a long, long way away for some of us and difficult to wrap the travelling around school times/caring etc. Maybe carers could write a couple of hundred words that could be read on the day. It wouldn't have the same impact as a personal, told-from-the-heart story but it would be better than missing the slot altogether. I expect you already have some anecdotal material anyway, but it was just a thought. Thank you and the team for all the help and support you give, by the way and good luck on the day! Dee

cheekipixi

Post by cheekipixi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi,
I think thhis is a good idea, as I myself can offer my experiences, although not very good experiences ttto say the least, I live in Northh Wales and were you are is too far for me to go.
If you would like my help, please let me know.
Good Luck
-x-

Cathy Ashley

Post by Cathy Ashley » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Many thanks for your responses and wise thoughts. I've managed to rope in a family and friends carer, but David Roth, our policy adviser has been thinking about ways of capturing in print carers' powerful stories and experiences - so await to hear more in due course.
Chief Executive, Family Rights Group