Children's author asks for help from family & friends carers

Cathy Ashley

Children's author asks for help from family & friends carers

Post by Cathy Ashley » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Please find a request from Merryn, a children's writer

" I've asked the FRG if they can put me in touch with any grandparents caring for their grandchildren, as part of the research i am doing for a new book.

The story is about a little girl called Roxy - aged ten - who is living in a crowded urban flat with her mother and an unstated number of other people. One day, at the beginning of the summer holidays, her mother announces she is taking Roxy to visit her Granny. Roxy didn't even know she had a Granny, it's never been mentioned before, so she is very very excited as you can imagine. The mother takes Roxy to Granny's house, mum and Granny have an argument,and the mother storms off leaving Roxy upset and Granny to cope.
(I understand that never having met each other is an extreme and unusual circumstance, but it's part of the story).
Granny and Roxy have quite a shock as they were both expecting someone different. Roxy thought she was going to get a Fairy Godmother, Granny thought she was going to get Shirley Temple.
They get even more of a shock when they find out Rose, the mother, decides not to come back for the rest of the summer holidays.

I am want to talk to Grandparents who can tell me what it is like to have a child living with you again. After all, you've already done that - surely it's time to be the Good Guy and hand out treats and trips to the zoo. What is it like to have that key distance taken away from you? (which means it's now about practical every day things like nagging them to do their teeth and eat broccoli). How do you cope? How do you deal with the subject of the errant parent? How does the child deal with it? Do you talk about it? What little freedoms do you miss?

This is a serious subject, so one i want to get right.
Roxy is a great home maker, as she's never had a proper one, and it's what she gets at the end of the book. But at what cost to Granny?

All interviews/conversations will be in strictest confidence. I am CRB checked and I am soon to be published author with Walker books. My first two are for younger readers, Ronny Rock in Monster Cake Meltdown out in Oct, and Ronny Rock Thousand Tiny Explosions, out at Easter.

Before writing i was a TV director, so am used to talking to and interviewing people in a variety of circumstances. Any chats with me can be on your terms. My contact number is 07557 389289, please feel free to call me.

Merryn
Chief Executive, Family Rights Group