A very belated thank you!!

Aunty to a princess

A very belated thank you!!

Post by Aunty to a princess » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 am

I posted two years ago about my niece...I had some very knowledgeable (and somewhat technical to a novice!! Lol) and supportive replies, which I never thanked you for.

So a big belated thank you...

Just to update...my niece was returned to her mother (despite our reservations) several months after my post....since then we've had contact with her fortnightly (ish...when her mother doesn't alter the arrangements at will) and we continue to have a wonderful relationship with her...despite all her difficulties, she is growing up to be a very resilient and special (to us) little girl. Her mother has started using heroin again (despite the continued involvement of SS, a drugs worker and residing with her parents for support), so sadly, we are due to return to SS for a meeting on Monday where I believe both my niece and her sister are to be placed on the 'At Risk' register....
So we're back on the merry-go-round...however, this time, thanks to this forum and website, I feel much more prepared to ask the appropriate questions and have done the appropriate research etc. Will keep you posted. Many thanks once again..x x

David Roth

Re: A very belated thank you!!

Post by David Roth » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:30 am

Aunty, thanks for coming back to keep us up to date about what happened. I'm sorry to hear that things seem to be getting difficult again, let's hope that any damage to your princess can be kept to a minimum.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

Kate

Re: A very belated thank you!!

Post by Kate » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Aunty,

Sorry to hear how things are going with your niece, but hopefully now it's becoming a Child Protection issue (at-risk) your parents, if they want this, could state their availability to take your niece again if SS decides she needs to be removed. In fact if this is what they/you would all want, it's worth putting this in writing to SS. But be careful how you word it so you're not put in the position again of SS saying it was a private arragement. If SS decided to remove your niece from her mother, there would be a much stronger case now for getting funding and other services as kinship foster carers.

You are definitely fore-armed this time with all you know now and this will be a huge benefit to your niece. Good luck and and please keep us posted.