Late developers.

ajc

Late developers.

Post by ajc » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:24 pm

I was talking to my youngest brother a few weeks ago about my middle son who is the father to my g/c who we are SGs to.
I was telling him how much he seems to have changed of late he's started to help us out financially where he can, he's calmer, seems happier,more in contact with us both, he's more attentive to g/c, and this is reflected in the birthday cards and presents he now gets them as he knows their interests, spends more time with them and its starting to show in the g/c that they really excited to see him and say how they love him.
I was saying to my brother how I hoped that he can keep it up.
My brother who was also (how can I put this)to say he was a rebel is a bit of a understatement.
As a family of 6 kids we were brought up by a alcoholic mother after our dad left when I was 11. I was the eldest and took on the mother role. Life for all of us was very hard with us seeing and experiencing things no children should have.
My brother said something that really struck home, he said "look at all the boys on our side sis, and you will see that we were all "late developers".
After a life dabbling in drugs, running from the police, going to prison and losing contact with his family.
He is now at 45 running his own very successful company, and is very immersed in family life.
Loooking at all my brothers he is right they were all "late developers" even my dad is one.
So yesterday besides it being mother's day it was also youngest g/c birthday. He bought us both really well thought out gifts, he also joined us on the family meal at the local pub and went dutch with his brothers to treat us. It was such a happy day.
I told him how proud I was of this change in him, and that I loved him no matter what.
I now pray that this continues.

Keep on keeping on
Keep on keeping on

Kate

Re: Late developers.

Post by Kate » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:00 pm

What an encouraging post ajc - it shows there's always hope for change. What a lovely day for you yesterday - no wonder you're proud of your youngest g/c. With all the support your g/c get from you, hopefully they aren't going to be such late developers [:)]