information needed on kinship holidays please

Nana 20

information needed on kinship holidays please

Post by Nana 20 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 am

Hi everyone, I saw something on facebook about a holiday for kinship carers, but I can't for the life of me, remember where I saw it, I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get information about it, also does anyone know where the holiday is and is it subsidised.

lilyjo777

Re: information needed on kinship holidays please

Post by lilyjo777 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Hi Nana 20 I was just looking on the GRandparents Association website and i saw that they have subsidised holidays for kinship carers. Hope this helps.

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Nana 20, I can only provide information on one of the kinship holidays thats taking place.

Kinfest 2011 is at Southview Leisure park, Skegness, 6th - 13th August. This is the second year that carers from all over the country will be meeting up, last year was a huge success and more carers have booked for this one.

Unfortunately this holiday is not subsidised but I have sent you a mail containing links to the site itself, sites nearby and suggestions of how you can keep the costs down if you decide you would like to go. There are some carers who will be visiting just for the day and everyone is more than welcome to come along no matter for how long.

I have also given you some links to FB support groups that run, if you decide to join then you can discuss last years holiday and the plans for this years one.

If anyone else would like information, please mail me and and I will pass your questions over to the holiday organisers.

spice

Post by spice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Nana, I was at the Kinfest last year & we all had a brilliant time & alot of firm friendships were made. I dont know what area you are from but Skegness was chosen as the venue as it is a central location for most carers & as far as possible no one had to travel alot further than others. I hope you are able to join us this year for a truly fun filled seaside family holiday with other kincarers & their children.Even if you could only come for the day or a couple of days you will be most welcome as Help has already said.[8D]

Nana

Post by Nana » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi Nana 20

There are two holidays being organised as Ied has said, however the one to Skegness (organised by Kinship 'foster' Carers on FB) is open to all Kinship carers and I hope you contact Help for further information and are able to join us this year. I too went along last year and a great time was had by all. It was a wonderful experience to be with people who understood exactly what it was like to be in the position most of us find ourselves in now and even more wonderful to see how the children bonded in the knowledge they are not the only ones who do not live with their birth parents. The holiday is well advertised within the groups mentioned and also on various other sites i.e Grandparents as Parents. I do hope you can join us be it for the full week, a day or even a few hours.

The second holiday I believe is to Ullswater in the Lake district...this again as mentioned is being organised by another group on Facebook. Unfortunately there is very little information about this one as it is being organised by a closed group.

Hope this helps, please feel free to PM me if you would like any more information about the holiday to Skegness [:)]

Nana

Post by Nana » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:36 pm

Forgot to add that you do not have to be a member of any group to come to the kinfest holiday in Skegness...it is open to all kinship carers [8D]

Nana 20

Post by Nana 20 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 pm

thank you so much everyone, you have all been so helpful. Thank you for the emails, especially ied53 and Help 1870, it would be lovely to meet other kinship carers.

Nana

Post by Nana » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:37 pm

I do hope you are able to come, it's lovely to actually meet up with others in the same/similar position rather than in 'cyber space' all the time...I do like to come on this site, I don't often contribute unless I feel strongly about a particular subject and think I can help in some way or make a valid point on any given topic. This topic is however very close to my heart, after meeting so many wonderful people last year it opened up a whole new world to me.

As I'm sure many on here will verify once we take on the role of kinship carers our 'long time friends' often dissapear into the sunset so to speak because they quite simply no longer have the same responsibilities that we now have....I can honestly say I have never met a nicer bunch of people and the best part? they know exactly what we are going through and how/why we feel like we do.

If there is one thing that has come out of such a sad situation it is that friendships have been made that would never have had the light of day without the heartache we have all had to endure.

(and of course now I am left to guess who is who of the other posters who went last year!!!)