Equal rights

youngagain

Equal rights

Post by youngagain » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:27 pm

NAKC are drafting a letter to lobby government on behalf of kinship carers. They have produced some quite interesting data that makes clear that financial support is more to do with where you live and that not all LA'S means test. Also Scotland and Ireland have a well defined support package and policy whereas the England has not.Just thought I would mention it, perhaps some of you may wish to have some input?

maricharle

Re: Equal rights

Post by maricharle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Youngagain, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the information that's been produced and would be grateful if you could let me know where to find it. As for scottish kinship carers I'm not sure they would agree about Scotland having a well defined support package. The postcode lottery is a problem north and south of the border and certainly needs challenging.

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by youngagain

They have produced some quite interesting data that makes clear that financial support is more to do with where you live and that not all LA'S means test.

Im sorry, but I dont think the research makes that clear at all. To prove that you would need responses from a much larger number of carers in specific areas.

the largest proportion of carers who filled in the questionnaire was from the North East (16 carers). The North East has 12 seperate Local authorities, so that is 1.33 of a carer in each authority.

To expand on that, there were 117 responses, there are 433 Local authorites In England, even including the 25 carers from Scotland who replied that makes .27 carers for each LA.

How does that prove that support is more to do with where you live?

Larger numbers of respondents are needed to be able to make that remark.

youngagain

Post by youngagain » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi maricharle Just search NAKC on Google it will display the website of the national association of kinship carers who have conducted the study.If you cant find it I will post a link or let me have your email and I will send the report. Hi Help 1870 , this charity is trying to gain support for kinship carers. The report goes on to advise that some local authorities means test and others do not. Given that both my experience and many others on this forum have indicated that local authorities have individual practices with regard to the provision of financial support to kinship carers and that some do not have a policy at all, it can I think be reasoned that financial support if provided is a matter of what authority area you reside in with some carers being granted it and some not.I do not think that I would want to "prove" anything, just point out the obvious.

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:47 pm

I Understand what NACK is about.

I havnt read the whole of the report yet, but I would be very surprised if the research did advise that some local authorities do means test, some do not and that some dont even have a policy as I am aware the second phase of the research, aimed toward the LA's and their policies and procedures has not yet been completed.

Im more aware than most of the individual practices of different LA's through supporting carers both within the county I live in and across the whole of England. Im also aware that 2 carers may have very different experiences dealing with the same local authority and indeed the same Social worker.

Research like this has to be read for what it is, a small snapshot that neither proves nor disproves many things. Care needs to be taken that individual interpretation is not placed on it to mean something it doesnt.

youngagain

Post by youngagain » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 pm

I agree 1870, but the fact is that the objective is to gain equality for care givers. The report states what I have said.
its commendable that you support kinship carers but the fact remains that a small percentage of kinship carers bring legal proceedings to the high court where routine judgements are handed down in criticism of local authorities and their practices in devising illegal polices designed to withhold financial support to vulnerable children.This can be seen to be representative of the wider dissatisfaction within the area of support for kinship carers where due to circumstance most kinship carers can not afford or do not have the opportunity to challenge the illegal practices of local government.So local authorities do support properly and some not at all so it can be demonstrated that it is as a direct consequence of which local authority area you live in as to how if any support you receive with some local authorities having formed policies and some making them up add hock.Do we ever read that someone has an SGO and has the cost of caring for the child paid by the L.A., no, it will be a good day when this government provide the support for the children that they deem to be subject to court proceedings and then placed with their grandparents often again unlawfully.

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 pm

There is a danger with sites like this and others (no offence FRG) But places like this attract a high percentage of unhappy carers. The ones that are happy dont often need the same level of support that can be found here. Successful stories are often few and far between and not because they dont exist, because they do.

Do we ever read that someone has an SGO and has the cost of caring for the child paid by the L.A., no,

Just because we dont read about them doesnt mean they dont happen, in fact we have just finished a case with a carer where exactly that happened, and he is not an isolated case by any stretch. I have worked on many cases and not one has come away with no support being offered. It may not always be what we or the carer would like, but its certainly within the LA policies and government legislation.

I know that there are more carers are dissatisfied than are satisfied, but no one can ignore the ones who are happy yet use the ones that arent to hold up a case for everyone.

Going back to the opening post,

They have produced some quite interesting data that makes clear that financial support is more to do with where you live and that not all LA'S means test.

The data does not say, suggest or support that in any way. It would be misreprensentation of the research to say that it does.

This research is important and useful, but It has to be taken in context. The context being its of a very small proportion if the estimated figures of 200,000 carers is anywhere near correct. The research can only be used as a guide and not as being definitive.

Kate

Post by Kate » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:42 am

I know that there are more carers are dissatisfied than are satisfied, but no one can ignore the ones who are happy yet use the ones that arent to hold up a case for everyone.
Help

-------------

I understand what you are saying, Help, about us being a self-selecting group of carers, so to speak. But I think there are a lot of us here who are happy to be caring for our grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc and get a lot of joy and satisfaction from being able to give them a happy life, and sharing that happy life with them (even tho we may well long for a break sometimes)

We're not a miserable bunch here by any means, but yes there are a number of us who are not happy at the level of financial and other support we receive, or rather don't receive, which for many of us is nil. And I suspect the same level of dissatisfaction in that respect exists among those who don't belong kinship care groups or post on this forum, but who just get on with caring for the children and maybe don't even know there is any self-help support or campaigning groups like FRG available to them.

I thought it was generally accepted that there is a postcode lottery, much as there is in the field of health, and in other areas of care too. I can't remember where I learned this, but it was by someone involved in the field of kinship care that carers in MP Frank Field's constituency often fare better because of his enormous commitment to the cause of kinship carers, and his high profile in this field.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 am

People may be interested in the Family Rights Group survey, which was of local authorities and their policies rather than of carers, that was published 18 months ago. We sent a Freedom of Information questionnaire to all English and Welsh local authorities, and had quite a high overall response rate - the report is on our website here: http://www.frg.org.uk/pdfs/FOI%20report ... r%2009.pdf

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser

youngagain

Post by youngagain » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 am

Thanks David,this supports the view that many kinship cares do not receive any support at all. Help1870 I think that you may be looking at the incorrect report as it clearly states what I have repeated and in line with the link that David has posted, it is fact that many kinship carers received no support and that many councils do not have policies, rather they make up unlawful procedures designed to circumnavigate their duties in providing financial support with some means testing and some not.So again clearly some kinship care givers receive a higher level of support than others and this is due to where they live or in which local authority area they live in subject to what ever policy if they have one on support for kinship carers.the University of Bristol is also conducting a study in to the same that so far has gathered data that led them to the same conclusions.